Sunday, December 7, 2008

North Korea, Sparring, Turkey, and Goose Track Meet

There's nothing like doing a mind-numbing amount of report cards to make me realize, "I really need to blog. I really need to clean my apartment. I need to do anything other than report cards."

I went to the DMZ a few weeks ago with Meredith T., Meredith D., Darcie, and Imee. It was cold, rainy, and foggy...but I found that somewhat fitting. A visit to the buffer zone between North Korea and South Korea isn't a ray of sunshine.





Here is Imee with one of the ROK soldiers. A lot of people got silly photos taken with the ROK soldiers, but the whole situation really bothered me. They stand there for hours in the taekwondo stance so they can immediately fight back if they need to.



Speaking of taekwondo...I sparred at taekwondo class a couple weeks ago. It was my first time. My instructor put me up against Justin--a 4th grader who is approximately 2 feet tall and -12 pounds. And he's far more advanced than I am. My friend Katie tried to get some good action shots of our sparring, but that's kind of difficult. I did get a point in toward the end. I promptly fell on my knees with all my weight, but at least I got a point.



Some of my class: Moi, Katie, Justin, July, and Claire



I had a pretty good Thanksgiving. We all met at Cecelia's apartment (she works at the other SLP campus). We got a turkey and all of the necessary sidedishes from the military base. It was soooo delicious. I brought a ridiculous amount of Sparkling Cider from Costco. :)

We went on a school field trip that week to a sports museum. There was a ton of cool stuff there.





This was by far my favorite station, though. :)



Meredith T. finished her contract and moved back to the U.S. on Tuesday. A new teacher arrived. His name is Greg. He's from Toronto.

I apparently don't have the energy to write anything worthwhile. I had more fun posting pictures for this entry.

Peace, love, and kimchi~
Carly

No comments: