Friday, April 17, 2009

"I'm breaking down, and no one understands why I got here."

I just got back from my Rachael Yamagata concert! It was at the Sejong Center. I somehow landed a second row ticket even though I bought my ticket two weeks before the show.






After the show I asked someone from the crew if I could have the setlist. He looked slightly annoyed but he gave it to me anyway. :)



The actual setlist:
Elephants
Over and Over
What If I Leave
Meet Me By the Water
Faster
Worn Me Down
Letter Read
Elephants Instrumental
Even So
Duet
Parade
Accident
Sidedish Friend
Sunday Afternoon
encore:
Be Be Your Love
Reason Why

During What If I Leave one of her vocal cables got screwed up so she stopped toward the end of it. She summed it up when she said, "I'm dressed in all black and I'm supposed to be spooky, dark, and depressed. But I feel goofy because my vocals sound like farting right now." She walked over to the piano and played Meet Me By the Water while techs worked on her mic issues.

I have a video snippet of Faster. I cut it short because I was paranoid that I would get busted.



Duet completely cracked me up because, well, it wasn't a duet. Where the hell is Ray LaMontagne when ya need him? When Rachael and Ray hum at the end, she did her humming and then when it was his part, she hummed really low so she sounded like "a really hairy man." It was cute.

She played Parade after I made a request. Here is how my brief interaction went with Rachael. I usually don't yell at concerts, but I had the feeling I was in the minority of people who understood what she was asking. And I didn't really have to yell since I was pretty close to her.

Rachael: "Does anyone have any requests?" (a few seconds of silence)
Me: "Please do a song from Loose Ends!"
Rachael: "Wow, you HAVE that?!"
Me: "Yes!"
Rachael: "Ok, I barely remember how to play any of those songs so don't get mad at me if I screw up."
Me: "I promise I won't."

She played it perfectly.

Unfortunately, my photos turned out poorly. This one accidentally looks cool.



When she was at the piano this is the view I had since I was way over on the side.



Seoul was the last stop on the tour so her band gave her flowers.



I think the highlight for me was Sunday Afternoon. That song kills me every damn time. She talked about how you should let yourself wallow, obsess, and annoy your friends after a breakup...but only one day out of the week.

I can't believe I got to see Rachael in Seoul. Bliss.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you had some fun as your time is winding down there - Mom

Anonymous said...

That all sounds amazing, and like just what you needed. I love Rachael's sense of humor. And I still have my 2004 setlist, with her bootprints on it. Hooray for Parade, and your chitchat. And
Sunday Afternoon... Sigh.
Thanks for posting and linking.

Thinking of you.
Xo Maz

sniggih said...

wow!... well that's something to remember, seeing Rachael Yamagata in a foreign country where you get to talk to her directly and show off your knowledge of her work :P, it's simply awesome... almost four years ago something similar happened to me with Missy Higgins... and I still can't get over it!