Monday, April 13, 2009

I made it through 8 months of SLP...and also 27 years of life.

Anneyaseo, everyone! ♥

Well, if you don't already know, my last day of work was Thursday, April 2nd. It was supposed to be March 31st but Mr. and Mrs. Yang asked me to help Jen (my replacement) the first couple days. Those last two days of work were reeeeally long. It didn't help that I was battling my fourth sinus infection in eight months. I was glad I could help Jen. She was really stressed out. I'm glad they chose her to take over my classes--I could tell I, along with my students, really needed a change. Anyway, I got a video and some photos from my last days at SLP. So, here ya go!

For our monthly field trip we went to see a ventriloquist. Ventriloquism kind of creeps me out so I was slightly less than thrilled.



Monkey Class:



James, who is quite possibly the cutest kid in Korea:



Daniel:



Elly and Michelle:



And here is my favorite class: Ann and Annie. I love these girls with all my heart.



My birthday fell on Easter Sunday this year. I kind of like it when that happens. A bunch of us went out for brunch at the All-American Diner. Omelettes? Pancakes? French Toast? No rice? We were in heaven.

Then Meredith and I went to Yuido to look at the cherry blossoms. Unfortunately, every Korean also went to Yuido to look at the cherry blossoms. We both have a similar distaste/phobia for large crowds so it was a bit more stressful than we thought it would be. So we looked for the humor in the situation. Mullets are pretty funny, aren't they?



A cute baby greeted us.



And here are some photos of the cherry blossoms.





Anyway, my head hurts from thinking about whether or not I want to stay in Korea. I can't seem to find any editing positions. I've applied for about eight but nobody has gotten back to me. I know there are teaching jobs here that would require me to work about half as less as I did at SLP...and I would actually make more money. Part of the problem of working at a full-time hagwon (private language school) is that there are a lot of students, a lot of classes, and a lot of paperwork. Everyone gets so burnt-out there because teaching becomes your life. And you are in the minority if you actually come to Korea to have teaching become your life. And I find myself really missing these novelties that you, my lovely people, are probably taking for granted:

-dill pickles
-Chipotle
-bathtub
-dryer
-GOOD cheese
-Reese's Peanut Butter cups
-English
-grass
-relatively clean air

xo,
Carly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a good birthday! Your photos are awesome. What about dill pickle potato chips? Do you miss them? If you do, sorry to remind you :) Love you tons and I'm so proud of you and you will cherish this adventure! Mark my words! All my love, Mom

RiceCzeks said...

OMG, NO GOOD CHEESE?!?!?!
I totally feel for you.
If I could, I'd mail you good cheese... but alas, I don't think it would turn out so well...